I got the idea for these Coffee Braised Short Ribs from this wonderful website – Sleep.Love.Eat. They just looked amazing so I had to make them.
I made a few modifications, so this is my version.
- 4 lbs of Grass Fed Short Ribs – mine came from the local farmers market
- 2 TBS of coconut oil
- 1 cup of Italian cold brewed coffee
- 1 cup of dry white wine
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic
- salt and pepper
- 1 TBS of Italian Seasoning
- 1 TBS of oregano
- 1.5 TBS of chipotle seasoning
- Cut the short ribs into individual ribs if necessary – mine came in two long strips
- Season with salt and pepper
- Heat oil in cast iron skillet and brown short ribs for 3 to 4 mins on each side, I had to do mine in two batches
- Set aside
- When meat is browned, add white wine and coffee. Let simmer for a few minutes to cook off alcohol.
- Mix the italian seasoning, oregano, and chipotle together in a small bowl
- Add about a 3rd of onion to bottom on crockpot, layer with 1/2 of short ribs, sprinkle with 1/2 of herb mixture.
- Now layer another 1/3 of onion, rest of the short ribs.
- Add the last of the onion, garlic, rest of herbs, and then pour wine and coffee sauce over everything.
- Set the slow cooker on low for 8 to 9 hours.
We enjoyed this with some collard greens and bacon sauteed and it was delicious.
Hope you enjoy:)