I know, this is suppose to be a food blog, but I am sure some of you will enjoy this post. For Christmas I made several bath products to give to the women in my life. This included lavender bath salts, grapefruit sugar scrubs, whipped body lotion, and vanilla mint lip balm. The first to are pretty easy, the latter two are a little more tricky. So lets get started.
I used a kitchen scale to weigh all the ingredients out for these recipes. I suggest you do the same.
The Whipped Body Lotion is easy, but does require a little bit of work.
- 5.5 oz Shea Butter (about 1 cup, I used ivory)
- 3.5 oz Coconut Oil (about 1/2 cup, I used Trader Joe’s Brand)
- 1.25 oz Jojoba Oil (about 1/4 cup, I used Trader Joe’s Brand)
- 1 oz Extra Virgin Olive Oil (about 1/4 cup, I used Trader Joe’s Brand)
- 0.25 oz Argan Oil
- 20 drops of Lavender Essential Oil (or per your preference, shea butter has a strong scent, so you might want to add more if you don’t care for it)
- Add Shea Butter and Coconut Oil to a double boiler and slowly melt. I did this in a medium size glass bowl over a small pot with water.
- Once melted, remove from head and add jojoba oil, argan oil, and olive oil and stir to combine.
- Put into refrigerator for 1 hour until the oils start to cool and solidify. You want there to be a harden layer on the top and the oils to still be liquid in the middle.
- Remove from refrigerator and whip using a hand mixer or a kitchen stand mixer until the lotion resembles whipped cream. Mine took about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add Essential Oils and whip again for 30 secs to incorporate.
- Makes approximately 3 – 8oz containers.
*PS – I have found that whipped body lotion requires a ratio of 1 cup of butter, 1/2 cup coconut oil, and 1/2 liquid at room temperature oil. So experiment if you don’t like the items I used, switch them out. Use mango or coconut butter instead of shea, use grapeseed or almond oil instead of jojoba and olive oil.
Now onto the lip balm –
- 1 oz Extra Virgin Olive Oil (I used Trader Joe’s Brand)
- 1 oz Coconut Oil (I used Trader Joe’s Brand)
- 1 oz Beeswax
- 1 oz Shea Butter (I used ivory)
- 20 drops of Peppermint Essential Oil
- 20 drops of Vanilla Essential Oil
- 10 drops of Vitamin E Oil
- Add coconut oil, beeswax, and shea butter to a double boiler and melt.
- Add in olive oil and mix together.
- Remove from heat and add essential oils and vitamin E oil.
- Pour into containers and allow to cool.
I used 2 oz tins, 1 oz hinged containers, and 1 oz jars. I would probably be a lot cheaper if you bought them on line. This recipe required 4 – 2 oz tins, and about 4 -1 oz containers. The vitamin e oil will act as a preservative and they should last a year.