Who doesn’t love donuts on a Sunday morning. If only I could walk to a bakery on a Sunday morning and get a paleo donut, my life would be complete. I would even settle for a gluten free, freshly baked or fried, version But if I want one on a Sunday (or any day for that matter) I need to make it myself. This recipe will satisfy that craving and not make you feel guilty for breaking your diet.
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 cup of apple sauce
- 1/8 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp honey
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 3/4 cup almond flour or meal (I used Trader Joe’s brand)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Coconut Butter slightly warmed or
- Melted butter and coconut sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 deg F and coat donut pan with melted coconut oil
- Add bananas and apple sauce to a food processor and process till smooth
- Pour into a large mixing bowl and add coconut oil, vanilla, egg, and honey and whisk until egg is combined
- In a separate bowl, combine coconut flour, almond meal, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt, and mix until incorporated
- Pour dry ingredients into wet and mix thoroughly
- Pour batter into doughnut pan
- Bake for approximately 20 to 25 minutes, until dough bounces back after being pressed.
- Cool for about 5 minutes in pan, then remove to a cooling rack.
- When donuts have cooled down slightly, add toppings. Either drizzle on some warmed coconut butter, or melt about 4 tbs of butter or ghee and dip donut in butter then coat with coconut sugar.
- These taste best if eaten right away.