Making any kind of Paleo desserts are hard for me. My husband has a food sensitivity to eggs and almonds, which are basically in every paleo dessert…sigh! But looking around at some vegan website (yes they make some great whole foods desserts) I decided to try to make some vegan chocolate cheesecake. I don’t think it tastes anything like cheesecake, but it sure is good. The recipe I loosely followed is this one. Next time I think I will use coconut milk in place of the 1/2 cup of water.
- 1 cup of hazelnut meal
- 1/3 cup of cocoa powder
- 2 tbs raw honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbs melted coconut oil (plus some more to grease the pan)
- 1 1/2 cups of raw cashews soaked for several hours (mine soaked for 5 hours)
- 1/3 cup raw honey
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup of cashew, hazelnut, or almond butter
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup of melted coconut oil
- For the crust, add all ingredients to a food processor and blend until mixed together. Oil a pie pan, muffin tin, etc (I used a 9×4 stone bake pan). Press mixture into pan and set aside.
- Drain cashews and add them to food processor along with honey, water and salt. Process until smooth, roughly 2 minutes.
- Add in butter, cocoa powder, and coconut oil. Process for another minute or so until everything is smooth.
- Spoon on top of crust.
- Place in freezer for about 2 hours until filling is hard but still manageable to cut with a knife.