I really like the book Well Fed, it was one of my first “Paleo” cookbooks. Before getting this I thought it was impossible to make good paleo dishes night after night. I felt like dinner was always the same, meat and veggies. But Melissa Joulwan does a great job of making tasty, easy to follow dishes and I love that every recipe in her book has a picture.
Melissa’s Chocolate Chili is a wonderful recipe, but I needed to make it my own. For one she uses way to my chili powder for me and my husband, I cut it way down. I also felt like it needed more tomatoes, and some pureed beef liver (I got to hide it in something so it might as well be something good, right?). You won’t go wrong making either of these recipes, but for an extra nutrient boost give mine a try. Trust me, you won’t even notice the liver in there.
- 2 tbs coconut oil
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 2 medium bell peppers, diced, I used yellow and red
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 lbs of grass fed ground beef
- 1/4 cup grass fed beef liver, pureed by food processor or cut into small pieces
- 1 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 tbs chili powder
- 2 tbs ground cumin
- 1.5 tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 2 14.5 ounce cans of fire-roasted chopped tomatoes
- 3 cups beef broth
- salt and pepper
- In a large pot (I used a dutch oven), over medium heat add coconut oil and melt. Add onions and bell peppers, saute until soften. Add in garlic and saute for another minute.
- Add in the ground meat and break up with a spoon. Cook until almost all of the pink is gone and add in the beef liver. Cook until all of the ground meat is no lover pink. Drain off excess oil/grease if you desire, and add back into pot.
- In a small bowl, combine oregano, chili powder, cumin, cocoa, allspice, and salt. Add to the pot and stir for about 30 secs.
- Next add in tomato paste and stir to combine for another minute.
- Now add in canned tomatoes and beef broth. Stir well.
- Bring chili to a gentle boil and simmer for about 2 hours.