How many of you have stood in the condiment aisle at the grocery store looking for a BBQ sauce that didn’t contain sugar and only had ingredients you could actually pronounce? Yeah, pretty much impossible. There is only one brand I have found that I will use in a pinch, but it contains agave nectar and I am not really cool with that. This recipe is super easy and will make you wonder why you never made your own BBQ sauce before.
- 1 tbs coconut oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbs paprika
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (add per your preference)
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 15 ounce can of no salt added tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 4 tbs coconut aminos
- 3 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1.5 tbs honey
- salt and pepper to taste (I added about 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper)
- Melt coconut oil in small sauce pan on medium. Add in garlic and saute for about 30 secs. Add in paprika, cayenne pepper, and chili powder and stir for about 30 secs.
- After the spices start heating up and giving a nice smell, add in rest of ingredients and stir.
- Allow the BBQ to simmer over low for about 30 minutes. After this time the sauce should be reduced and thick.
- Can be stored in refrigerator for about 2 weeks.
*If you are doing a Whole 30 leave out the honey and add 1/4 extra apple sauce. It is will not be as sweet, but it will still be good.